Anya-Josephine Marie Taylor-Joy is a British-American actress and model who gained instant popularity and attention just with her debut film, “The Witch,’ in 2015. She is now known for her outstanding performance in the Netflix original series “The Queen’s Gambit” in the lead role. She stunned the world with her versatility and her style.
Anya quit school at the age of 16 and pursued her acting career, and had full support from her parents. Though pursuing acting was not the only reason for her to quit school, she also describes incidents where she was bullied and harassed during her school life.
Despite having a ‘Not So Normal’ childhood, she turned out to be a superstar.
Early Life and Family
Anya was born on 16 April 1996 to Dennis Alan Taylor, a former banker, and Jennifer Marina Joy, a psychologist, in Miami, Florida. But originally, she did not belong to Miami; her parents were holidaying in the city during that time; because of her birthplace, she holds American citizenship due to the country’s jus soli nationality law. She is the youngest of 6 siblings, four from her father’s previous marriage.
She lived in Buenos Aires with her family and went to Northlands School until age six; later, the family moved to London. She describes her experience of moving to another country as ‘traumatic’ and refuses to learn English in the hope of moving back to Argentina. She continued her education in London at Hill House and attended Queen’s Gate School. She left school at sixteen, citing bullying by her fellow peers as the reason, and went on to pursue her acting career.
In an interview with ES magazine, she mentions, “Argentina is all green, and I had horses and animals everywhere. All of a sudden, I was in a big city and didn’t speak the language. I didn’t really feel like I fit in anywhere. I was too English to be Argentine, too Argentine to be English, too American to be anything. The kids just didn’t understand me in any shape or form. I used to get locked in lockers. I spent a lot of time in school crying in bathrooms.”
Anya Taylor-Joy’s first acting role was in the 2014 horror-comedy series ’ Vampire Academy,’ but her part was removed in the movie’s final cut, with her role left uncredited. She then made her television debut as Philippa Collins-Davidson in an episode of the detective drama series ‘Endeavour.’
Before entering the movie business, she was scouted as a model at the age of seventeen by Storm Management founder Sarah Doukas while walking her dog outside Harrods department store in Knightsbridge, London. She shares that her first meeting with Sarah was nothing less than a kidnapping scene in an action movie.
Anya told Marie Claire: “As I was walking my dog, I noticed a car following me. I tried to outrun the car, but it rapidly caught up with me and stepped out Sarah Doukas [model agent].
So, I stood there still in my tracks which made no sense! But then, Sarah Doukas gave me her card and asked me to come in with my parents the next day. And, as she drove away, she said, ‘oh, and by the way, never do that again. Never ever stop if a car asks you to stop. Don’t put your hand in a window to shake my hand, I could just drag you in, what are you doing!?”
Anya debuted in films in 2015 in Robert Eggers’ ‘The Witch,’ and it turned out to be a big hit. And was a breakthrough role for her. It was a story of a Puritan family that encounters forces of evil in the woods beyond their New England farm. It premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, 2015 and gained a lot of popularity, and Anya was praised for her performance.
She then gained a lot of attention in the industry and was offered many roles. After ‘The Witch,’ she starred in several other movies, television shows, and web series.
Roles To Date
Anya has played over twenty roles to date there are many more that we are yet to see.
Some of his major roles are:
- Cassandra In ‘Atlantis’ (2015)
- Thomasin In ‘The Witch’ (2015)
- Casey Cooke In ‘Split’ (2016)
- Petronella Brandt In ‘The Miniaturist’ (2017)
- Allie In ‘Marrowbone’ (2017)
- Gina Gray In ‘Peaky Blinders’ (2019)
- Casey Cooke In ‘Glass’ (2019)
- Emma Woodhouse In ‘Emma’ (2020)
- Illyana Rasputin/Magik In ‘The New Mutants’ (2020)
- Sandy in ‘Last Night In Soho’ (2021)
- Beth Harmon in The Queen’s Gambit (2020)
Since the start of her career in 2014, Anya has been performing non-stop and is in no mood to stop or take a break and is all set with her four new upcoming projects:
- The Northman
- Canterbury Glass
- Super Mario Bros: The Movie
- The Menu
According to several sources, the young rising star is now worth over $ 3 million.
Social media accounts of Anya Taylor-Joy
Anya is quite popular on social media and has a huge fan following.
On Instagram, she goes by the username – @anyataylorjoy and has over 8.7 million followers.
And on Twitter, she goes by the username – @anyataylorjoy and has over 300k followers.
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/AnyaJoyTaylor
Awards and Nominations
Anya was nominated for 7 major awards and won 4 of them:
- In 2017 she was nominated for the British Academy Film awards for the category Rising Star and in the same year she also won in Cannes Film Festival for Trophee Chopard.
- In the year 2020, she won Critic’s Choice Television Awards for her work in The Queens Gambit in the category Best Actress in a Limited series and was also nominated for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical.
- She also won two more awards for her performance in The Queens Gambit – Gloden Globe Awards (Best Actress – Miniseries) & Screen Actors Guild Awards (Outstanding Actress in a Miniseries or Television Film).
Trivia about Anya Taylor-Joy
- She can play ukulele and electric guitar.
- She considers Eddie Redmayne, a British actor, a major celebrity crush.
- She spoke only Spanish until she was 8 years old when she learned English after moving to London. She still is fluent in Spanish.
- She was romantically linked with American actor Malcolm McRae.
- Aside from taking a drama class in elementary school, she admitted that she had little acting experience prior to starring in the film ‘The Witch.’
- She has been a vegetarian since the age of 10 and became vegan in 2015. Despite that, she has no problem with eating honey and eggs.
- When she wanted to drop out of school, she wrote a long essay for her parents in a bid to make them understand; it was a well thought, mature decision.
|Full Name||Anya-Josephine Marie Taylor-Joy|
|Height||5 ft 8 inches|
|Date of Birth (Birthday)||16 April 1996|
|Age (as of 2022)||26 years|
|Birthplace||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Hobbies/Interest||Reading Books and Traveling|
|Father Name||Dennis Alan Taylor|
|Mother Name||Jennifer Marina Joy|
|Nationality||American, British, Argentina|
|Net Worth||3 Million USD|
Frequently asked questions
- Is Anya Taylor-Joy married?
No, she has never been married till date.
- Who is Anya presently dating?
According to the rumors, Anya Taylor -Joy is dating Malcolm McRae.
- What perfume is Anya Taylor-Joy the face of?
Anya Taylor-Joy is the face of Viktor & Rolf’s Flowerbomb fragrance